Election is God choosing us for salvation (2 Thess. 2:13) before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:4), so that we would be saved by the work of Christ. Election for salvation is never apart from the sacrificial work of Jesus' sacrifice. Election means that God has chosen us to be saved because without his choosing, sinners left to their own sinful free will will never come to Christ because they are bound by the following scriptural truths that state that the unbeliever is
- ...wicked and deceitful heart (Jer. 17:9)
- ...is full of evil (Mark 7:21-23);
- ...loves darkness rather than light (John 3:19).
- ...does not seek for God and is a hater of God who does no good (Rom. 3:10-12)
- ...is ungodly (Rom. 5:6).
- ...is dead in his sins (Eph. 2:1).
- ...is by nature a child of wrath (Eph. 2:3).
- ...cannot receive spiritual things (1 Cor. 2:14).
- ...is a slave of sin (Rom. 6:16-20).
Therefore, election means that God has chosen us for salvation through the work of Christ, not without it.